Monday, March 9, 2009

It's Tough Being a Woman who feels responsible for the "how"






Hi. My name is Sandra (left), and I'm an organizer. I've been an organizer for as long as I can remember. My mother is an organizer. My daughters are both organizers. I even have an 7 1/2 -year-old granddaughter who as early as the age of 4 showed signs of being an organizer. (It's a strong gene!)
Sounds like an introduction at a 12-step program, doesn't it?! There are those who think that people like me DO need "help." My husband, for instance, is not "gifted" in the area of planning and organizing. Bless his heart, that's why he has a good office manager. But there are times when he must actually do the work himself, and it's not a pretty sight. He struggles with it but finally gets it accomplished. However, he's usually not happy at that point because it's so stressful to him.
Planning, organizing, list-making--that's how God created me. I have the gift of administration--sometimes in big doses. At various churches, I have been included in the planning of some very large projects, especially Christmas productions and Easter pageants. I love that kind of stuff. My music minister knew that he could hand me 50 pages of notes with 1,000 details, and in no time flat, I would have things worked out with a time schedule, a list of committees, and suggestions for who would play each role in the production.
But as organized and as detailed as I was, I would still hold my breath through every production, just praying that the scene of the resurrected Jesus would come off just right, that the scenery would get moved quickly and quietly, and that the donkey would wait until he had left the building to leave us his little "presents." And when it was over, the planners would always meet to discuss what we would do differently "next time." Even with this Bible study, Kristy and I have talked a little about what we would change if we had a "do-over." As human beings, we are always having to edit, make corrections, or start all over again
One of the ways in which I really relate to Jesus is that He is also a planner, an organizer (I Cor. 14:40). The difference though is that His plans are always perfect; He never needs a "do-over." I don't know about you, but I am very greatful for that! It means that no matter what He has me doing, where He sends me to do it, or how long it will take, I can rest assured that it is THE perfect plan. He makes no mistakes. Sometimes I have questioned His plan, and, personally, I think He's okay with my questions. There have been times when I have said, "Lord, are you sure this is the best way to do this?" or "Lord, let's look for a Plan B."
But He is always positive because He has known from the beginning of time what He has planned for each of us (Psalm 139:13-16). Look at the above picture on the right; is that not the cutest little thing you've ever seen? So proud of her tiny purse! Yes, it's Kristy, and God knew even at that point (as unlikely as it would seem to you and me) that she would investigate insurance fraud and, at times, would deal with some of the kinds of folks that her mother always warned her about. And it's certainly not what she studied to be: she studied to be a speech pathologist!! But isn't it neat that way back "whenever," God already knew her temperament(He created it!), and He knew that she would be bored silly as a speech pathologist and would be much better at something else? Our lives are full of times when, as we studied last week, we have had reversals of destiny. I'm so glad that God is in charge of that set of plans instead of me! God is constantly at work in our lives, moving us to wherever He wants us and changing us to become what He knows we need to be. Those times are not always pleasant for us, especially for those of us who don't do well with change. (Maybe that's what He's working on!)
I loved last week's lesson as we watched God's plan start coming together. It was so neat watching Haman come to the realization that his plans were just not going to happen. I loved it! God took all those puzzle pieces with which He had been working so long--the little orphan girl Esther; Mordecai, her obedient uncle; the pagan king, Xerxes; Haman, the insecure prime minister--and He fulfilled His promise that He would protect His people. It's hard to believe that Esther was happy with everything that had happened in her life just as we are often not thrilled with where God has us at the moment or what He has going on in our lives. But please always rest assured that His plan is never flawed and can always be trusted. It was so comforting and so reassuring in last week's DVD when Beth explained that we don't have to make things happen; we don't have to know ahead of time how to make things work out. We just have to obey God and trust Him to bring His plan together.
Be sure to write your assignment this week and bring it to class. Remember also to bring your picture back to class. It was so much fun looking at all those cute little pictures last week, and I am really looking forward to hearing some of your experiences.

No comments: