Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"What is the hardest thing about being a woman?"

Sandra -- I am not, never have been, a history buff. I didn't like the subject in school and learned it only to pass a test. For that reason, the people in history were never "real" to me; they were just names to memorize. I knew they were not fictitious people, but I just could never relate to them as "real." That not relating carried over to studying the Bible, so I often have to make a conscious effort to get to "know" Biblical characters. I have found that getting to know Esther has been very intriguing. She was an orphan, reared by a relative, became the queen, and was willing to die to save her people. After she became queen, her responsibilities multiplied exponentially. I've never been a queen, but I can certainly relate to the load of responsibilities! Sometimes, I think that we, as women, feel that we're the only one being stressed from the load that we carry. Everyone else just seems to have it so "all together." One of the things we want you to realize through this study is that you're not alone; we're all in this together!



Kristy -- When I first heard the title of this Bible study, my mind jumped to this image long ago stored in the recesses of my mind (that's a scary place). If you would please press the image to the right that shows "The 8 Hour Perfume." This will probably date me, but I remembered this commercial..."cause I'm a woman. Enjoli!" Of course, this blond beauty of the 70s is singing about all the things she does and can do everything from "bringing home the bacon" to "never let him forget he's a man." It was aiming at the woman who was trying to do everything and be everything and take care of everything and everyone all while looking beautiful. While I've watched it a couple of times and laughed just since I attached it to our blog, it sort of makes me sad that we haven't progressed any further than that today. Speaking for myself, I find it quite difficult to wear all the hats a woman is thought to have to wear -- wife, mother, maid, nurse, educator, taxi driver, personal shopper, lover, friend, daughter, employee, leader, and the list goes on and on and on, and there are days I don't feel like I wear any of those hats or roles well. If I give my best to work, then I feel like I'm gypping my family or vice versa. Ladies, am I alone in this? Ladies, you were given a sheet of paper when you enrolled asking you, "What is the hardest thing about being a woman?" I hope you will take the time to fill it out and return it. I find it comforting to know that there are other women out there with the same struggles as myself who are trying their best to balance life while staying in the center of God's will. I look forward to taking this journey with you through the book of Esther.

No comments: